Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Home Learning Part 2!

Description
Students in charge!

Significance
I got the idea from Poto's blog post - about giving the students time to talk, time to take ownership, time to lead!

Learning
Week 2 of Home Learning Part 2, I decided that Room 11 students will now host our morning calls. The decision was inspired by Poto's recent blogpost about letting the kids do more of the talking during the google calls.

The idea was mentioned last Friday in my class call with Room 11, response was 50/50, some looked excited and others didn't even blink. But thinking of lockdown and how i'd usually run my calls, it can be quite boring. If the students have no input or questions, they're sitting there for a good 45 minutes watching and listening to me. So, our first student-led session was this morning, I decided to choose Rottpon and Anna, because I know they'll get the job done and take the lead. I did provide an opportunity of 'volunteering' but I think they were still in shock, with the thought of 'Miss Tupou just said we had to run the meetings' - yikes!

But I know how my class works. Yes, they'll be hesitant and nervous at first, but once we get the ball rolling, they will roll it as far as they can.

So what?
I've learnt to practice what I preach! We often hear teachers talk about 'student voice is important' and 'learning should be student driven' but do we really let the students drive the learning? If so, how often?

As teachers, we're accustomed to the idea of 'leading the learning' and forget that our students watch us everyday. They know what we'd say, they know the class routines, they know EVERYTHING. Poto's reflection was a reminder for me to give my students a chance. A chance to have fun, to wear the 'teacher' shoe and to sit back and enjoy.

And that, is how Home Learning Part 2 is going :)

1 comment:

  1. Great thinking and reflection Christine! I totally agree with you that it is important to foster student agency and let them take ownership of their learning. During the 2nd lockdown I also felt a strong need to have more fun during our Google Meets. I believe this approach helps create a safe and secure online learning space, engage and motivate our students and contribute to their success.

    ReplyDelete