Monday, April 27, 2020

Blog #3: Tools, Measures & Approaches

Blog #3 Describe the tools/measures/approaches you plan to use to get a more detailed and accurate profile of students’ learning in relation to that challenge. Justify why you chose these approaches and tools.



Inquiry Question:
How will I change my teaching practice to ensure my learners are developing a deeper understanding of vocabulary in Literacy?

Reflecting on my 2019 inquiry, I decided to continue with a focus on literacy (Reading). Shifts were made by my target students, however, there was still room for more accelerated progress. After discussing with fellow CoL colleagues and teachers from school, I decided to continue with the focus on Reading.

I've identified possible tools that will help me carry out my inquiry this year, these are:
  1. A.L.L strategies
  2. Integrated curriculum using the L,C,S model
  3. Learner voice
  4. Students' prior knowledge and experiences
  5. Talanoa
  6. Cultural competencies for teachers of Maori & Pasifika learners - TAPASA, He Whakaaro, Tātaiako etc
To measure the students' progress, I will use assessments (standardised testing, formative assessments, overall teacher judgement, observations etc). This will inform me of what the students' strengths & weaknesses.

I aim to include the students' in decision making when it comes to their learning, having students choose the texts they wish to wish, choose what form of delivery they wish to be taught and encourage them to read both english and first language texts.

Working alongside the students' rather than a top-down approach will build our relationship, develop trust, result in highly engaged students and hopefully produce excellent results and higher level achievement throughout the year.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, I totally agree that teachers need to use a repertoire of tools, approaches and measures to inform our planning, teaching and test the outcomes. It is great that you plan to use both summative and formative assessments in your practice. I truly believe that such measurements provide a great deal of essential information about our learners, their personal and learner identities as well as academic achievements. I support your intention to become a facilitator for your students giving them choices and building upon their interests. You plan to support your learners by providing them with timely and effective feedback and running a number of standardised tests. I am sure that you and your students will gain information from these assessments and will use it collaboratively to plan future learning activities. 

    ReplyDelete