Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Blog post #2: Collaborate with school leadership team...

In our meeting with the senior management team, we identified our priority groups for 2020 using results from end of year assessments in 2019. Our priority groups are:

  1. READING: Maori
  2. WRITING: Maori & Boys
  3. MATHS: Maori, Boys, Girls, Pasifika
Reflecting back on my Inquiry from the previous 2 years, I've learned a lot as a teacher and have seen some great shifts from students' attitudes & abilities towards literacy. 

As I begin to think about my inquiry for 2020 and after great discussions with colleagues and management, I realised that I need to maintain my focus on literacy and continue to build on this. Through observations and guided sessions with my students, I've identified VOCABULARY & IDEAS as areas of weakness.

I received a book from a colleague of mine, titled: What every primary school teacher should know about Vocabulary - by Jannie Van Hees & Paul Nation. I endeavour to read this to develop my understanding on new strategies and approaches to implement in class.

This year, my inquiry focus is going to be: 

Inquiry Question:
How will I change my teaching practice to ensure my learners are developing a deeper understanding of vocabulary (in Literacy)?






2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine, I know that you're passionate about implementing ALL strategies. I think that it's great that you've discussed your 2020 inquiry with our school leaders and agreed to keep your focus on literacy. I believe that narrowing your inquiry this year to vocab and ideas will be beneficial. I am excited to follow your journey this year.
    Have you discussed this with your students? Have you considered to collaborate with your team and inquire into it together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Christine,

    We can see that there are several reasons that have motivated you to make the decision that you want to focus on vocabulary this year, such as 1. results from end of year assessments in 2019, 2. discussions with colleagues and management, and 3. observations and guided sessions with students.
    Could you give us some more details about each of the reasons? So that we can understand how your decision is justified. For example, how was the assessment in 2019 and what it tells you? What have you talked about with your colleagues and how do you feel? What have you seen in your observations and guided sessions and these activities tell you about what? Look forward to reading your next blog. Thank you.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete