Friday, May 7, 2021

Blogpost #5 - May Blogging - Hypothesis and Research...

1) Share your findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge. Make sure it is clear what evidence from your inquiry supports each finding.

The challenge for my students this year is to make accelerated shift in Literacy by sharing knowledge about their identity and culture. To further elaborate, in the past, I have taken it upon myself to plan for my students. I planned a Kai Pola (Tongan Feast) and the causal chain that helped accomplish hosting this Kai Pola was identified by me. This time, I'm having my learners identify the steps we need to take to accomplish the same thing, for Tongan Language Week this year. In hopes, that this practice will be applied to their learning all year round and to other areas of their learning.

In discussion with my team and fellow CoL teachers at school, data continues to identify VOCABULARY & MAKING INFERENCES as a need. With my inquiry focus on IDENTITY & CULTURAL COMPETENCIES this year, I'm taking a culturally responsive approach on the matter. It will be practical, it will involve the arts, cooking, community engagement and more. Through this experience, the students will learn new vocabulary and use it to build and strengthen their current bank of words.

In previous years, I tried changing my reading programme and I believe it helped in making some shift, but it wasn't accelerate progress. Over the years, I've implemented content, based on students ethnic and cultural backgrounds together with their passions and interests, this hooked in their engagement. My goal now is to take it a step further by having my learners actively involved in the planning stages of the learning before actioning it, through a more practical approach.

Accessing content or topic specific vocabulary continues to be an obstacle for our learners and this often limits student achievement. Our students are not confident in using new vocabulary in their daily conversations or talanoa. Through this inquiry, I want my learners to stand confidently talk about their learning experience of making the Kai Pola. Low self-efficacy and limited knowledge of vocabulary means 'speaking in front of an audience will be delivered through a fast rap, a quiet whisper or an inarticulate flow. 

I know from experience and in my inquiries over the years, if the learner is unfamiliar with the setting, or lacks engagement and content knowledge on the task, their connection to the learning will absent. I want my learners this year to make accelerate progress, to make a connection to their learning and be passionate about it. To speak confidently and use content specific vocabulary when sharing their learning with others. 

Inquiry Question: Can we make accelerated shifts in Literacy through teaching Identity and Cultural Competencies?

No comments:

Post a Comment