Tuesday, February 13, 2024

RPI - Day 1: Reading is Core to Learning

 Mind Blown!

I'm impressed with how Kiri, Naomi and Sharon can pull everything together to fit our 8:45-3pm time frame. 

I have really enjoyed Day 1. Unlike the rest of the cohort - I went backwards with this ordeal. I was a mentor teacher last year to 2 RPI teachers from GTS. I personally felt that I was missing the 'Learn' part of the process. So I took my 'mentor' hat off and became a 'mentee'. We're learners too :)

I love the 'un-packing' of everything. In all the sessions covered today, I really appreciate the time our facilitators take to thoroughly explain everything. Emphasis on the fact that 'Detrimental Effects of Poor Reading Ability' was an eye-opener. I also liked the analogy that was used to illustrate Effective Teacher Accelerated Learning - the idea of the airport travelator and how it takes us to the destination faster.

What I learnt that could improve my capability and confidence in teaching reading was the importance of knowing 7 attributes of a readers profile. I also enjoyed looking at examples of task-boards and what reading across the curriculum looked like, great learning about the ground rules of talk and the pillars of practice (I have a 8 page google doc from my 'uh-huh' moments today) Christine's 'uh-huh' moments

I can definitely use the task-board idea with my learners, especially the reading challenge (created by Robyn Anderson) and some of her other intervention outcome ideas and I am excited to share these ideas with my school community.



5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to meet with you to discuss your findings and next steps, Christine. Your uh huh moments are interesting - a lot you already do naturally in your teaching! Well done on what looks like an awesome day of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Christine

    It was such a pleasure to welcome you to the Reading Practice Intensive for Day 1: Reading is Core to Learning! Yes indeed: it is a bit of a “wow” processing all we cover on the first day, but you looked like you were taking it all in your stride and made many, valuable contributions to our break out group discussions - thank you!

    I agree, the detrimental effects of poor reading ability is such an eye-opener and that Dorothy’s analogy of the travelator is apt in capturing the work we need to do to support improved reading achievement. Your takeaways from Robyn Anderson’s case study, the task boards and implementing productive talk about texts (e.g. like the reading survey findings) will be, as you say, really positive steps to improve learners’ assessment capability (i.e. of the good reader profile) and their confidence.

    All the very best with your practice implementations and coaching conversations. I am really looking forward to following your professional blog across the programme!

    Nga mihi
    Naomi R.
    Literacy Facilitator - Manaiakalani Reading Practice Intensive

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great start to your RPI Mentee journey. You sure covered a lot. I am excited to follow your journey this year and see how it impacts on your teaching. Keep up the great mahi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Christine,
    It was lovely to meet you in our group. It is great ot be on theis journey together. I too ended up with pages of notes.
    The examples of task boards were totally awesome giving us something to inspire to, and build up as we move along our own travelator. What Dorothy had to say about the effects of people leaving school and trying to be contributing citizens with out the ability to read is very eye opening.
    I look forward to our futrue discussion about the survey results and knowing our learners even more indepth. it also makes me wonder how this would look in maths.

    Ngā mihi
    Tanya Mundy - Kootuitui Cluster

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Christine, look forward to seeing how you and your learners harness the task boards for reading. I have seen some inspiring creations by learners who have valued the opportunity for greater choice in both their texts and how they respond. Mā te wā, Fiona

    ReplyDelete