Monday, May 20, 2024

The ball is rolling...

 Hi Everyone,

I know it's been a while. I had taken time off work to look after my mother who had terminal cancer. Unfortunately, my Mum lost her battle with cancer during the school holidays. Took a further 3 weeks off (to grieve and be with family) and returned to school this week (Monday 20th May - W4).

Before taking time off, I had met with Amber George from Tamaki about my Inquiry and my vision of what I want to achieve. She directed me to Albie Stevenson (one of the English teachers and dean). The learning area I am choosing to focus on is Literacy and my Inquiry is on the transition of Y8 students into High School. 

I also met with my Principal Mr Herlihy to gain some insight and expertise from him too.

So what now? The ball is rolling...

  1. I've met with Albie and together, we selected a group of Y9 students, former students of GTS. Some may call them my 'target students' but I prefer to call them my "experts". I will be interviewing my group of students to find out more about their experience of High School so far, as a Y9 student. Over time, I want to identify strategies and ideas of what we can do from our end (as an Intermediate) to prepare our current Y8's for High School next year.
  2. I would also like to pop in to some of their English classes to observe the students. Looking at attitude and behaviour for learning.
Before finalising my Inquiry for 2024, I had reached out to some of our colleagues at Tamaki College end of last year. I wanted to gauge some insight to their thoughts about Y9 students and also hear what they think we should do as Y8 teachers to prepare the students.






No comments:

Post a Comment