Tuesday, March 5, 2024

RPI - Day 2: Know your learners as Readers

What I like about RPI is the clarity and explicit-ness delivered by the facilitators. It's a safe space and teachers are free to ask questions throughout the sessions. 

I enjoyed the little korero by Dorothy, insightful to hear how the Manaiakalani Reading Programme has developed over-time from 2007. It was great to hear how her attendance at the ISTE conference inspired the idea of creating a Korero Pt England Podcast channel, that engaged so many learners, including those reluctant readers.

My favourite take-away from Day 2 was the understanding behind each component of the Teacher workbook. My mentee teachers last year did share it and we implemented it into our reading programme but the ownership for me, personally wasn't there. I wasn't as driven to use it as the other teachers. Simply because I felt I didn't fully comprehend the purpose behind it and how to use it. Now, being part of RPI - everything is making sense. I think being front-loaded with some of the resources last year has really helped.

My goal for the next 3 weeks and the rest of the term is to fully invest my time into ensuring the Teacher workbook is successfully implemented in my practice, so that my team can follow suit. I see how effective it is to have everything on ONE sheet under different tabs. It has data, planning, progressions, LTP - non-negotiables that teachers should have accessible in their planning.

YAY for another informative RPI session. Oh, and this time round, I am not feeling as over-whelmed as Day 1 lol.



2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Christine

    Thank you for sharing your insightful takeaways from Day 2 of the RPI entitled Knowing Your Learners as Readers. We are super pleased that you find the presenters have clarity and that the facilitation cultivates safe spaces to be transparent about practice, and queries.

    I totally agree that Dorothy’s korero on the history of Manaiakalani is inspiring! I never tire of hearing about the ‘roots’ of the kaupapa, pedagogy and how this emerged from both grounded research and literacy inquiry.

    As you say, the Teacher Workbook is a lot to wrap your head around initially, but can be an extremely useful resource if taken up purposefully, without unintended consequences like double-handling of planning. I would be keen to chat further about how the team managed this 2023, with ‘figuring out’ what worked, for more positive learning outcomes. It is important these changes can be sustained so it would be really beneficial to our team to get your perspectives. I think the shared long term planning component is key, especially to working smarter not harder: too many overheads in planning can be the undoing of us all!

    I’m really looking forward to feedback from your Day 2 practice implementations.

    Nga mihi
    Naomi R.
    Literacy Facilitator - Manaiakalani Reading Practice Intensive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work with the RPI Christine. Great to see you being so reflective of your practice and looking to implement new ideas to improve both teacher practice and learner outcomes. Keep up the great mahi.

    ReplyDelete