Friday, March 1, 2024

Reader Profile Survey Reflection - RPI

Wow! Having looked at the Reader Profile Survey I had my class complete, I was quite shocked with the data (in a good but curious way). I'm glad I had the learners complete this to give me insight into what they liked/disliked about Reading. 

Here's a link to the responses - click here


As you can see from the image above, none of my students go to the library to get something to read. This prompted me to book my class in for weekly visits to our school library. Our librarian has yet to set-up our system for students to take books out BUT over the last couple of weeks, we have enjoyed our Wednesday afternoons in our school library. We use this time for students to explore the resources and books available in our library but to also use the time for some research, teaching them that information can be found from books too, not just google (or the internet). 

I explained to them that in my time - we had books called an ENCYCLOPEDIA and this was our google back then. Most of their jaws dropped and eyes went big (lol).


Something else I found interesting was that the learners did not enjoy receiving books as presents and that about 1/3 of my learners own a public library card. I was a little heart-broken because to me, I read this as a "I dislike reading".

After having a great discussion with my learners about the survey, I was able to gather some responses about WHY reading for most of them was not likeable. On the contrary however, I looked at their responses of the type of books they like to read in their own time and was pleased to see the results. I found out that many of them like fiction books, novel/chapter books and funny books.

I think from here onwards, my goal is to teach my kids about the benefits of reading. I want to re-ignite or ignite a passion for reading and I think I need to lead by example FIRST. One of the take-aways from RPI Day 1 was, I listed a down names of engaging chapter books that some of the fellow RPI teachers mentioned was a great read for their students. I emailed our school librarian the names of these books and she has placed an order for them. 

I am going to begin TEACHER READ. It might not be a big step, but personally, I need to model to my class that their teacher loves to read and hopefully this move/change in practice will be the start of something special this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment